Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day 3 Update

I just got the call from the scientist about today's update. Can I just say, the scientist went all scientific on me! Haha! I guess she can't help it, she's a scientist after all.

On to today's great news (if I may say so, although I still need to do some research about some of the things she said). So yesterday, all 8 embryos were between 2-4 cells, right? Today's update is a bit complicated so I'll just do it in bullets. :)
  • One of the embryos is a bit slower in developing than the rest. Yesterday it had 2 cells, now it has 4 cells which is not that bad at all. The scientist said it might still catch up/develop further so they'll keep it with the rest.
  • One embryo has 6 cells, two embryos are at the 7-cell stage and another one has 8 cells.
  • Even more fantastic (her words, not mine :D), we now have three embryos at the early morula stage! According to the booklet, the embryos should be at morula stage on Day 4, which is tomorrow. So this is indeed fantastic news! Again, we praise and we thank you, Lord. :) 
I got this statement off the booklet: 
The average number of eggs collected is 9 and from those, on average, we see three healthy embryos develop.
In total, we still have eight embryos on Day 3 for which I am really thankful for. Hopefully some, if not all of them reach blastocyst on Day 5.

Now, time for some IVF lessons. Hehe.
- morula : a solid mass of cells, somewhat like a mulberry in shape, formed by cleavage of an ovum in the early stages of embryonic development (taken from this site)
- blastocyst : the term for an embryo five days after fertilisation which has now developed a special shape with different parts identifiable and a fluid-filled cavity (taken from the IVFAustralia booklet, Your pathway of care) 

I know heaps of people are praying with us, and for that I'm really grateful. :)
We've only just begun and I hope you continue praying with us as we go along this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment