Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Eyes, Eyes Baby!

If I were to believe that the eyes are the windows to the soul then my soul would probably look blurry. =)

I have been wearing eyeglasses or spectacles for about 15 years now. When I was at Uni, I started wearing contact lenses. I have very poor eyesight grade. My right eye is probably at -6.5 while my left eye is relatively lower, at -4. I can't see anything clearly without my specs or contact lenses. I think I know when my eyesight started to deteriorate. In high school I became a voracious reader. I would read 4 to 5 pocketbooks/books a day, one after the other in one sitting. Mind you, I didn't buy all those books. I had a classmate with a vast collection of pocketbooks and books so I just borrowed from her. At that time, I was always in a hurry to finish reading the books I borrowed so I could return them the following day and borrow a new set. I sometimes read through the night and into the morning of the following day. That's how crazy I was. Worst, I read lying down, which I must admit I still do up to now. Bad habit! Now I know why my mum kept scolding me whenever she caught me reading lying down. She kept saying it's bad for my eyes but I obviously didn't listen to her. Mums really know best.


I turned 30 a couple of weeks ago (I know, I'm old!). Prior to that I began contemplating having laser eye surgery or refractive surgical procedure done. I'm tired of wearing specs and contact lenses. My husband is very supportive and he says if I feel like it then I should go for it. I feel so lucky for having an enabler husband. Haha. He has one condition though, I have to promise to take better care of my eyes after the procedure. Fair enough. I'm still a bit apprehensive. I have heaps of questions and I plan to do more research before I decide to have it done, either here in Australia or in the Phils.

No comments:

Post a Comment